As another Winter season comes to it’s end, let’s take a look at where things are for Spring season. Just one more week of announcements left. This post will be updated as things happen.
Last Updated: April 8th
Crunchyroll / Funimation
As with previous seasons, I would expect the lion’s share to end up with one of these two. The one’s under this first section are confirmed simuldubs.
- Dances with the Dragons
- Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
- Golden Kamuy
- High School DxD Hero (also on Hulu)
- Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits-
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These
- My Hero Academia Season 3 (also on Hulu)
- Space Battleship Tiramisu (short)
- Steins;Gate 0
- Tokyo Ghoul:re (also on Hulu)
They also announced they will be dubbing Space Battleship Yamato 2202 (will not stream on Crunchyroll). They started dubbing the previous series (Yamato 2199) back in November. Tokyo Ghoul:re will also not stream on Crunchyroll, though the previous two seasons aren’t available there either. I imagine it has to do with the original license for the first season. They’ll probably work something out in the future, but for now it’s only on Funimation and Hulu.
I suspect that Funimation will eventually dub the ReLIFE OVA, but not sure if it will be part of the Spring simuldubs.
- Amanchu! ~Advance~
- Comic Girls
- GeGeGe no Kitaro
- Gundam Build Divers
- Food Wars: The Third Plate Part 2
- Gurazeni: Money Pitch
- Isekai Izakaya “Nobu”
- Libra of Nil Admirari
- Lostorage conflated WIXOSS
- Lupin the 3rd Part 5
- Magical Girl Boy (aka Mahou Shojo Ore)
- Major 2nd
- My Sweet Tyrant (aka Akkun to Kanojo; short)
- Ninja Girl & Samurai Master 3rd Season (short)
- ReLIFE OVA
- Shonen Ashibe GO! GO! Goma-chan Season 3 (short)
- Love To-LIE-Angle (short)
- Umamusume: Pretty Derby
- You Don’t Know Gunma Yet (short)
Winter season saw the death of Anime Strike and Amazon “separating” from Sentai. Amazon recently announced a number of new anime projects for future seasons, but what will they have for Spring? Beatless is continuing from Winter season, so their deals with Fuji TV and MBS will only net them two new shows. There are a few other shows set to simulcast on Amazon in Japan for Spring, but that doesn’t always guarantee an Amazon simulcast stateside.
- Chi’s Sweet Adventure Season 2
- Love is Hard for an Otaku (Noitamina)
- Magical Girl Site (Animeism)
Aniplex of America
Both of these were confirmed to stream on Crunchyroll and Hulu.
- Persona 5 the Animation
- Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
Sentai Filmworks / HIDIVE
- Alice or Alice (short)
- Cutie Honey Universe
- DOREIKU: The Animation (will be dubcast)
- Devils’ Line (will be dubcast)
- Hozuki’s Coolheadedness 2 (second half)
- Real Girl
- Tada Never Falls in Love
Also, they just announced that they will start doing “dubcasts” this season (like Funimation’s simuldubs). I don’t imagine they’ll do too many of these per season (2 or 3), as that’s quite a feat to pull off and they likely don’t have the same resources that Funimation does.
All three of these are confirmed for Crunchyroll.
- Cute High Earth Defense Club Happy Kiss
- Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis
I just wouldn’t expect any sort of physical release for these, as they are really horrible at releasing their own titles. I mean, it’s been a while since Sound! Euphonium 2 aired and they still haven’t bothered with a physical release for it? And if by some miracle they do release it, it will most likely be overpriced and in those ridiculous oversized cases.
Netflix had a bit of an early start on the season, as a number of shows that they were involved in have already premiered. List is a mix of brand new shows and stuff from previous seasons.
- A.I.C.O. Incarnation (up now)
- Aggressive Retsuko (April 20th; short)
- B: The Beginning (up now)
- Children of the Whales (up now)
- In This Corner of the World (up now; film)
- Sword Gai: The Animation (up now)
- Violet Evergarden (up now)
They also have Last Hope (aka Juushinki Pandora) and Lost Song from this season. No word on when Lost Song will stream (no doubt that it will be after it finishes airing), but it appears that Last Hope will be uploaded worldwide in two parts. The first half will be uploaded on September 14th and the second half will be uploaded on December 21st. No updates on the new season of Seven Deadly Sins or Fate/Extra: Last Encore from Winter season.
Also, the first season of The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. was just uploaded to the site (licensed by Funimation), probably to prepare for the second season to be uploaded in the future. The second season streamed on Netflix in Japan, which probably explains why it was missing from Funimation’s lineup last season. It will be interesting to see if Funimation will continue the dub the second season for Netflix or if Netflix will get another studio.
Currently, there is no date for when this will start streaming. There may be some possible music issues (OP is by a Johnny’s artist).
- Captain Tsubasa (2018)